Doing home repairs in Denver. / Bill Ross / AP Images for Rebuilding Together
Communities, colleges and corporations are joining the action for the 22nd annual Make A Difference Day, the nationís largest day of volunteering. You can, too. Visit makeadifferenceday.com to find a project near you or to get tips to organize one of your own. Whether itís a food drive, park cleanup or school rehab, you will improve the life of someone else.
ďYou can change one personís world by a nice note or a pan of homemade cookies,Ē says Karen Weld, who will join with 1,200 of her neighbors in Clarion, Iowa, in helping others. Clarion, winner of a 2012 National Make A Difference Day Award, has more than 100 community projects planned for Oct. 27.
Take a look at our photo gallery and see what others are doing across the nation.
- At I.S. 318 in Brooklyn, N.Y., teen chess champion Pobo Efekoro 16, is leading a donation drive to support after-school art and chess programs. Efekoro, 16, attended I.S. 318 and is featured in the new documentary, Brooklyn Castle, which examines the school's champion chess team.
-Automotive/diesel technology students at Washington State Community College in Marietta, Ohio, have teamed up with Senior Corps' RSVP to perform inter maintenance checks on the cars of seniors ages 60 and up.
- KaBOOM! and partner Humana will tackle a multi-generational playground in Springfield, Mo., one of four playground builds that KaBOOM! has slated for Saturday.
- Rebuilding Together plans to repair homes and do landscaping in Tucson, Tampa, Sacramento and Washington, D.C.
- Scarsdale, N.Y., holds its fifth annual winter clothing drive for children of South Dakota's Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- More than 2,000 members of Lions, Lioness and Leo clubs in Western Maryland are staging 200 projects across five counties. Efforts include literacy awareness, phone card collections for troops and blood drives.
Business Big and Small
- For the 10th year, C&S Wholesale Grocers' employees will take part in 20 company-organized projects across the country. Benefiting from their work are food banks, homeless shelters and community centers. - Kevin Bacon's charitable initiative, SixDegrees.org, will help you set up an online fundraiser or make a donation to a local charity. - Facebook: Post updates at Facebook.com/makeadifferenceday.
- Gannett Co., Inc., USA WEEKEND's parent company, is mobilizing employees in the more than 100 communities it serves. From Hagatna, Guam, to Greenville, S.C., volunteers will reach out to help others.
- Motorola Mobility Foundation designed the 2012 Make A Difference Day app for Android phones.
- Facebook shares tips for making your group's page stand out. Download them at makeadifferenceday.com.
- Causetown, a cause marketing platform for small businesses, is asking companies, ranging rfrom coffee shops to art dealers, to give a percentage of oct. 27 sales to charities who mention Make A Difference Day. For additional details:
- Jasmine Pollard with Usher's New Look Foundation, is leading students in 101 acts of kindness at Georgia Southern University.
- In Bloomington, Minn., Disney's Friends for Change will host an anti-bullying rally at the Mall of America. The five finalists of Radio Disney's N.B.T. (Next BIG Thing) will perform.
- Pinterest: Find quotes and ideas at Pinterest.com/makeadiffday.
- YouTube: Share videos by uploading to youtube.com/makeadifferenceday.
- Twitter: Follow #MDDay12 and see tweets from Darius Rucker, Josh Turner, Jerrod Niemann, Usher and others
- Kevin Bacon's charitable initiative, SixDegrees.org, will help you set up an online fundraiser or make a donation to a local charity.
- Facebook: Post updates at Facebook.com/makeadifferenceday.