Grandma Lizzie's Cornbread Dressing recipe. / Renne Comet / USA WEEKEND
Grandma Lizzie's Cornbread Dressing
• 1/2 loaf white bread, cut into small cubes and toasted
• 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 Tbs. butter or turkey fat, skimmed from pan drippings
• 1 pound Buttermilk Cornbread (use about 3/4 of prepared cornbread)
• 1/4 pound saltine crackers, about 1 sleeve crumbled
• 3 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled and chopped
• 4 cups turkey pan juices, chicken broth or low-sodium canned broth
• Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9- x 13- x 2-inch baking dish.
Place the bread cubes on a large baking sheet and toast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes, until lightly brown. Set aside to cool. Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
In a medium skillet, saute the onion in the butter until translucent and softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. In a very large bowl, crumble the corn bread, toasted bread cubes, and cracker crumbs. Add the onion and eggs and toss with a fork until mixed. Add 3 cups of the broth and mix it well, adding more as needed to make a very moist but not soupy dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the prepared pan for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: 272 calories, 38g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 9g fat (3g, saturated), 3g fiber, 53mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium