Ron Howard’s parents were actors and he grew up just a few miles from Hollywood. He and his high school sweetheart, Cheryl Alley, have four grown children — Bryce, an actress and the mother of his two grandchildren (Theo, 6, Beatrice, 1); Paige, an actress; Jocelyn; and Reed.
Howard has worked hard to instill a love of movies in his children and hopes to carry on the tradition with his grandchildren.
Here are his must-see movies for the next generation. All are emotional, vivid and, coincidentally, Oscar winners or nominees.
When the grandkids are little:
• Captains Courageous (1937)
• Great Expectations (1946)
• The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
As the grandkids get a little older:
• One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
• Schindler’s List (1993)
• The Graduate (1967)
• Star Wars (1977)
• Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
And when they're even older:
• Dog Day Afternoon (1975)