You will be redirected to the page you want to view in  seconds.

Elizabeth Simpson / Getty Images

Doing your own taxes isnít the same as doing your own brain surgery. But if you have anything more complicated than salary and bank interest, youíre probably better off with a professional tax preparer.

If you just have the very basics, then you can file form 1040EZ, which has seven questions. Itís simple enough that TurboTax has an app that lets you file taxes by phone ó just snap a picture of your W-2, answer a few questions, and youíre done. You must have earned less than $100,000 in 2012 ($120,000 if youíre married) and have only W-2, interest or unemployment income.

But even the 1040EZ has pitfalls: If you have student loan interest, for example, you canít deduct it using the simplest form. If you donít report it, you will pay too much in taxes. Youíll need to move up to 1040A, the next-easiest form.

If you have anything more complicated ó itemized deductions, self-employment income, rental properties ó hand the job off to a pro, says Peggy Ruhlin, a financial planner in Columbus, Ohio. ďThe new tax law didnít make anything easier,Ē she says. ďEven if itís something as simple as computing investment losses or gains, itís easy to make mistakes.Ē

For most people, the big tax-preparation firms are fine: They train their employees on new tax rules, and can stand behind the return if the IRS questions it. This may not be true for mom-and-pop operations, says Ruhlin.

The drawback with tax firms: It will cost you, even though the fee is deductible. Storefront preparers have tiered pricing structures; H&R Blockís fees range from free for first-time filers to $49.95. If you hire a CPA for a complex return ó say, for a small business ó the skyís the limit.

Finally, if you are expecting money back, donít take out a refund-anticipation loan unless youíre desperate for immediate cash: The associated fees will take a big bite out of your refund.

John Waggoner is a columnist for USA TODAYís Money section.

More In Money

POWERED BY USA WEEKEND Magazine & more than 800 Local Newspapers across the country!