Midday flights are more peaceful. / Compassionate Eye Foundation / Getty Images
His most stressful journey ever, says the intrepid host of the travel-adventure TV series Born to Explore with Richard Wiese, was flying with his three children to SeaWorld.
“If you think a screaming baby on your flight is annoying, imagine being the parent. While trying to apologize to everybody in your vicinity, you’re simultaneously wiping drool and distributing snacks and pulling apart twins determined to overachieve their terrible twos.”
Beleaguered moms and dads, take comfort in Wiese’s advice:
• Choose midday flights, not early-bird ones. An overly tired child is Enemy No. 1.
• Snacks are essential. Be sure they’re in small, airline-approved amounts. He highly recommends squeezable fruit containers such as applesauce.
• Fleece blankets are travel-friendly. Pillows are not.
• Unless your child is 6 or older, pint-sized roller luggage is an unnecessary complication.
• Pack plenty of wipes and hand sanitizer — enough said.
Born to Explore with Richard Wiese airs weekends on local ABC stations.